The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is an international organization with headquarters in Lagos, Nigeria with the mission to foster the development of the insurance and reinsurance industry in Africa; to promote the growth of national, regional and sub-regional underwriting and retention capacities and to support the African economic development.
The Corporation, created by a multilateral agreement in 1976, is owned by 42 member states of the African Union (AU), the African Development Bank (AfDB), 113 African insurance and reinsurance companies in Africa and 3 leading global insurance and reinsurance groups.
Africa Re has six regional offices in Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire), Cairo (Egypt), Casablanca (Morocco), Lagos (Nigeria), Nairobi (Kenya), and Ebène (Mauritius). In addition, Africa Re wholly-owns three subsidiaries (Africa Re South Africa Limited in South Africa, Africa Retakaful Company in Egypt and Africa Re Underwriting Agency Limited in the Dubai International Financial Centre) as well as a foundation (Africa Re Foundation in Mauritius).
Africa Re is seeking to recruit a Law Firm to provide Legal Advisory services.
It is pertinent to note that Africa Re is engaged in diverse international / cross border insurance and business transactions. Hence, legal, regulatory and statutory compliance requirements can frequently have a multi-jurisdictional outlook. It is therefore imperative for the law firm to have strong legal experience in cross border corporate and financial matters in Africa and outside Africa, with proven experience in insurance and reinsurance dispute resolution and litigation mechanisms.
Accordingly, Africa Re is desirous of engaging the law firm to render legal services, and specifically to:
1. Advise, defend and conduct dispute resolution actions (litigation, negotiation, arbitration, mediation and conciliation) in insurance and / or reinsurance cases.
2. Review, draft, and negotiate agreements and contracts with vendors, suppliers, lessees/lessors, consultants and other business partners.
3. Advise on corporate and tax‐exempt organization legal issues.
4. Advise on individual labour and employment matters.
5. Advise on company law and insurance law.
6. Review personnel, fiscal and other policies, as well as corporate by‐laws.
7. Attend Board of Directors and Committee meetings when required on a temporary basis.
8. Advise on government grant and contract issues.
9. Assist in dispute resolution (including litigation, negotiation, arbitration, mediation and conciliation).
10. Pay particular attention to changes in legislation and regulatory regime, judicial pronouncements impacting Africa Re operations.
11. Advise on responses to subpoenas, court orders and requests for information from third parties.
12. Defend lawsuits, administrative claims, or other legal claims.
13. Conduct litigation as necessary.
14. Other legal services as needed.
In order to facilitate the analysis of responses to this RFP, proposals should be prepared in accordance with the instructions outlined in this section. They should provide a straightforward, clear and concise description of the capability to meet the requirements of the RFP. All parts, pages, figures and tables, comprising the sections below, should be numbered and clearly labeled...PLEASE DOWNLOAD FULL RFP BELOW