Introduction of the Corporation
The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading pan-African reinsurance company and the largest re-insurer in Africa. Headquartered in Lagos (Nigeria), Africa Re operates through six (6) Regional Offices across Africa: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Port Louis (Mauritius) and one (1) Contact Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia). It also has three (3) Subsidiary Companies (Africa Re South Africa Limited in Johannesburg (South Africa), Africa Retakaful Company Ltd. in Cairo (Egypt) and Africa Re Underwriting Agency in Dubai (UAE).
Africa Re has a broad-based shareholding of 42 African member States, the African Development Bank, 113 African insurance and reinsurance companies, and three (3) non regional shareholders, including leading global insurers, reinsurers and international finance institutions.
The Financial Strength and Credit Rating of Africa Re is “A” by A.M. Best and “A –“ by Standard & Poor’s.
Africa-Re hereby announces the vacancy for the position of Manager, Underwriting and Marketing in her East Africa Regional Office based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting directly to the Regional Director for Eastern and Southern Africa Region, through the Assistant Director Underwriting and Marketing (ADUM), the Manager, Underwriting & Marketing will ensure that all underwriting, marketing, customer services and claims within his/her market, are handled in a professional and ethical manner and, as per the Corporation’s policy and guidelines.
Under the direct supervision of the ADUM, the incumbent will carry out the following functions:
- Soliciting and receiving treaty offers from existing and potential clients, assessing such offers when received and determining whether to accept them in line with the Corporation’s underwriting policies/guidelines.
- Preparing renewal and new business quotation proposals to cedants and brokers.
- Maintaining proper records of all business offers and transactions received and concluded
- Attending to client correspondence, social and business functions, and other related activities for overall marketing effectiveness.
- Reviewing facultative offers regularly ahead of renewal and reviewing treaties annually ahead of renewal.
- Ensuring that all the treaties and facultative contracts are processed, and the cover notes/slips/wordings signed and sent out to cedants or brokers.
- Monitoring the profitability of markets serviced and monitoring progress towards the achievement of income targets in the assigned markets
- Paying market visits regularly for new businesses and for the renewal of existing business as well as for obtaining market statistics and other relevant information for the Corporation’s strategic and operational use
- Assist in reviewing and monitoring the proper processing of all technical transactions
- Ensuring all claims reports, cash calls request and other claims supporting documentation are timely processed for a prompt settlement of genuine claims
- Undertake risk survey for complex industrial set-up and ensuring risk surveys and follow up surveys are carried out by other professionals and risk improvement recommendations given to the cedants
- Providing training, advice, and other forms of technical support to both staff and clients on a regular basis
- Assisting, if necessary, Finance & Technical accounts in reviewing the reconciliation of cedants’ and brokers’ accounts
- Chasing outstanding balances due from cedants and brokers while also ensuring timely remittance of amounts due to them
- Attending to other duties as may be assigned by the Corporation or management/ supervisor from time to time
The successful candidate shall be based in Nairobi (Kenya)
COMPETENCIES AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Expert knowledge of engineering, risk survey and risk assessment
- Strong competences in reinsurance underwriting and good knowledge of insurance, reinsurance, retrocession
- Keen attention to detail with an ability to retain strategic direction
- Ability to work under pressure, without close supervision and within established timeframes
- Ability to multitask and manage change
- Excellent problem-solving skills (i.e., conceptual, and analytical thinking)
- High level of Integrity and proven sense of responsibility
- Have very strong and proven managerial skills/experience and good supervisory skills
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and knowledge of integrated business-related software’s will be an added advantage
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively with excellent reporting abilities
- Good communication and training skills
- Ability to quickly build very good and sustainable relationship with cedants
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Fluent in one of the two working languages of the Corporation (French or English). Good knowledge of both languages will be an added advantage.
- Good team player with proven leadership and managerial experience
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input and is willing to learn from others
- Has the ability to defend and explain difficult issues and positions
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- First University degree in relevant field (Engineering) plus master’s plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on risk surveys, underwriting/rating engineering risks and Reinsurance underwriting
- First University degree in relevant field (Engineering) plus full professional qualification plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on risk surveys, underwriting/rating engineering risks and Reinsurance underwriting
- First University degree in relevant field (Engineering) plus 9 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on risk surveys, underwriting/rating engineering risks and Reinsurance underwriting
- Relevant Professional Qualification (ACII or Equivallent) would be an added advantage.
- A post graduate degree in insurance would be an added advantage, plus relevant work experience in a Reinsurance company or in the department of Reinsurance and/or Engineering and Risk Survey of an insurance company
- Relevant working exposure in a multicultural environment will be an added advantage
Salary & Benefits
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
- Competitive Basic Salary on the Corporation’s Professional Staff Grade Level
- Variable pay (Annual Performance Bonus)
- Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer)
- Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children)
- Medical cover for staff and family
- Housing Allowance
- Home leave to country of origin every year paid by the employer (if non-national)
- Duty Post Differential (Cost of Living Allowance), that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation, paid in local currency
Applicants must also be:
- Fluent in English and working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Nationals of members’ state of Africa Re
Procedure for Application
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
Interested candidates are requested to visit the Africa-Re website at https://www.africa-re.com/career to complete the online employment form.
Africa-Re is an equal opportunity employer and offers good working environment commensurate with international organizations. The Corporation reserves the right to appoint at the advertised grade level or at any other level that may suit the profile, qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: 10 July 2022