The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading African reinsurance company with headquarters in Lagos (Nigeria). Africa Re has six regional offices: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Ebene (Mauritius). The Corporation equally has two subsidiaries: African Reinsurance Corporation South Africa Ltd in Johannesburg (South Africa), Africa Retakaful in Cairo (Egypt) and one Local Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).
Africa Re has a broad-based shareholding comprising 41 African member States, the African Development Bank (AfDB), 114 African insurance and reinsurance companies and three non-regional shareholders, including leading global insurers and reinsurers.
The Financial Strength and Credit Rating of Africa Re is A by A.M. Best and A – by Standard & Poor’s.
Africa Re hereby announces a vacancy for the position of Assistant Underwriting Officer for her Mauritius Regional Office on the Support Staff Grade Level.
The successful candidate shall support in organizing and coordinating all underwriting activities in the region. He/she shall be responsible for processing underwriting documents and maintaining proper records of them.
The duties of the Assistant Underwriting Officer shall comprise amongst others:
• Verify and record all documents received from ceding Companies, as per office guidelines
• Process statements of accounts in accordance with office procedure
• Assist underwriters to service the Markets allocated by the Regional Office and achieve Profitability, liquidity, business growth and customer satisfaction on a sustainable basis
• Prepare contractual documents and send to clients
• Check the accuracy of monthly data entries
• Attend to client’s correspondences and technical duties as well as other related activities for overall marketing effectiveness
• Assist in the renewal of existing business, as well as obtaining market statistics and other relevant information
• Support in reviewing all claims along with other claims supporting documentation
• Assist in following-up on collections of premiums
• Assisting Finance & Technical accounts in the reconciliation of cedant and broker accounts
• Maintaining proper records of all correspondences, business offers received and transactions concluded as per guidelines.
• Attending to any other duties as may be assigned by Supervisors and the Corporation’s Management from time to time.
• Knowledge of insurance and reinsurance underwriting
• Experience in insurance and reinsurance practices
• Analytical and reporting skills
• Exposure to Mauritius, Madagascar, relevant African Indian Island and South East Asia Region Markets
• Practical knowledge of a reinsurance-related software and underwriting software will be an added advantage
• A relevant University degree, and a minimum of 2 years post qualification work experience with emphasis in reinsurance underwriting (treaty and facultative), or
• HSC plus 4 years’ experience; of which minimum of 2 years include relevant underwriting work experience in insurance/reinsurance industry.
• Additional relevant professional qualifications would be an added advantage.
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
• Competitive Basic Salary on the Corporation’s Grade Level SS2
• Variable pay (Annual Performance Bonus)
• Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer)
• Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children)
• Medical cover for staff and family;
• Housing Allowance
• Transport Allowance
• Inflation Adjustment
• Dependency Allowances
• Fluency in English and/or French languages (spoken & written)
• Communication and Presentation skills;
• Organisational skills and ability to multitask;
• Problem solving skills with capacity for taking initiatives and decision;
• Flexibility, adaptability, and creativity
• Excellent skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
Interested candidates for this positions are required to visit the Africa Re website (https://www.africa-re.com/career) to complete the employment form and upload their curriculum vitae. See APPLY NOW button above
The Company reserves the right to appoint at the advertised level or at any other level that may suit the profile, qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Closing date for submission of applications: 10 July 2020.