The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading pan-African reinsurance company, the largest re-insurer in Africa and the Middle East in terms of net reinsurance written premiums and among Top 40 Global Reinsurance Groups by 2018 S&P Ranking.
Headquartered in Lagos (Nigeria) with diplomatic status in its current 41 African member countries, Africa Re operates through six (6) Regional Offices across Africa: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Port Louis (Mauritius) as well as one (1) Contact Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia). It also has two (2) Subsidiary Companies - Africa Re South Africa Ltd in Johannesburg (South Africa) and Africa Retakaful and in Cairo (Egypt).
Africa Re has a broad-based shareholding of 41 African member States; the African Development Bank; 111 African insurance and reinsurance companies; and four (4) non regional shareholders, including leading global insurers, reinsurers and international finance institutions.
The Financial Strength and Credit Rating of Africa Re is A (Stable Outlook) by A.M. Best Company and A – (Stable Outlook) by Standard & Poor’s.
Africa-Re announces the vacancy for the position of Assistant Manager – Claims in the Claims Department of its Nairobi Regional Office on the Professional Staff Grade Level
Reporting to the Regional Director, through the Claims Manager, for Eastern and Southern Africa Region, the Assistant Manager - Claims will have a direct responsibility for managing the portfolio assigned to him/her and ensuring that there is excellent customer service and claims within his/her assigned market are handled promptly and effectively in a professional and ethical manner and, as per the Corporation’s policy and guidelines
The duties of the Assistant Manager - Claims shall comprise amongst others:
• Supporting the Claims Manager to provide leadership and direction on strategic and day to day activities in the claims department.
• Planning and organizing the daily workflow of the claims department having in mind the main objective of delivering a superior claims service to cedants/brokers.
• Ensuring that all claims reported are promptly attended to, processed and paid within the service level agreements with all cedants as per treaty terms and conditions
o Review of claims notification received from cedants and brokers
o Maintain proper records of all claims notification and follow up to logical conclusion
o Keep an audit trail of all reported claims
o Ensure prompt processing of all approved claims
• Managing the follow up and reconciliation of cash call credit refunds
• Ensuring compliance with the Corporation’s claims manual when handling and processing claims.
• Enforcing discipline within the claims department to ensure all staff observe and adhere to set and agreed service level standards in processing all claims reported.
• Giving advice, direction, coaching and guidance to direct reportees in the claims department on the best way to handle assigned tasks.
• Establishing and managing relationships with competent, experienced and qualified service providers, such as claims/loss adjusters, to ensure that Africa Re’s interests are always well protected in cases involving reported complex and major losses.
• Managing and monitoring, on a regular basis, the way claims reserving is handled and ensuring proper reserves are maintained for all claims affecting the Corporation.
• Providing weekly/monthly/quarterly Management reports capturing major activities of the claims department.
• Giving sound and professional advice/recommendations to Management on actions to take on complex and major claims reported.
• Participating in designing and implementing development programs for staff in the claims department based on the identified gaps in skills set and knowledge required by staff to perform to expected standards in view of the ever-changing market conditions.
• Very good technical knowledge and professional proficiency, particularly with regards to Insurance and Reinsurance underwriting, Retrocession, Claims as well as risk assessment;
• Practical knowledge of underwriting in the reinsurance industry;
• Customer focused;
• Demonstrable exposure to and experience of relevant insurance / reinsurance markets;
• Proven leadership and supervisory skills/experience;
• Strong team player and interpersonal skills;
• Very good planning and reporting skills;
• Capacity for analysing, synthesizing and reasoning;
• Ability to quickly build very good and sustainable relationship with cedants;
• High Integrity and proven sense of responsibility;
• Ability to work under pressure;
• Good communication and training skills;
• Good knowledge of the Eastern and Southern African insurance and reinsurance markets;
• Excellent computer skills required in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
• Practical knowledge of a reinsurance-related software will be an added advantage
Applicants shall be holders of
• First University Degree plus Masters’ Degree in relevant fields plus 10 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative) and claims management.
• First University Degree in relevant fields plus full Insurance/Reinsurance/Actuarial Professional Qualification, plus 10 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative) and claims management.
• First University Degree in relevant field plus 13 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative) and claims management;
• Professional membership of an internationally recognized association will be an added value;
• Relevant work experience in a reputable Insurance/Reinsurance organization at similar level is required.
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
· Competitive Basic Salary
· Variable pay (Annual Performance Bonus)
· Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer)
· Housing Allowance;
· Medical cover for staff and family;
· Home leave to country of origin every one (1) year paid by the employer - if Non- Kenyan National;
· Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children)
· Duty Post Differential (Cost of Living Allowance), that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation and result of surveys.
• Fluent in English language.
N.B.: Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
• Not more than 45 years old.
VII. PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
Interested candidates for this position are requested to visit the Africa Re website (http://www.africa-re.com/career) to complete the employment form and upload their curriculum vitae.
The Company reserves the right to appoint at the advertised level or at any other level that may suit the profile, qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Closing date for submission of applications: 10 July 2019.